Sunday, July 1, 2012

Creative Writing - English as a Foreign Language

Creative Writing - English as a foreign language

         We talk about Creative Writing when we write a text about a special topic. There are various topics to write about when you learn a foreign language. Let's show some examples.
At an early stage you are able to write short texts e.g. about My hometown or My hobbies and interests. Intermediate learners are able to write texts about pros and cons, like: Which do you prefer? - holidays at home or abroad? Advanced students should write texts about more specific topics. Let's think of Martin Luther King and his words: "I have a dream."
Do not forget: Write simple sentences, don't make your structures too complicated
If you follow some rules, it's not complicated to write English texts.
1) Read the task and think twice before you begin.
2) Collect ideas. Make notes on a sheet of paper.
3) Arrange your text, avoid repetitions. Think of an introduction and a conclusion.
4) Write the draft.
5) Read your text again and have a look at the vocabulary and the grammar. Use an English-English dictionary to check the usage of the words. Remind the word order in sentences and questions. Think of additional information you could use in your text.
6) Write your text.
7) Read your text again and watch for spelling mistakes.

Creative Writing - Topics

There are a lot of topics to write about. We've listed some down here.
Me and others
Let me introduce myself...
My sister/brother
My father's/mother's job
My best friend
People I like
Problems of young people
What I think about fashion
My strangest dream
Who can be a hero?
Would you do any voluntary activity?
My world
My home town
Which do you prefer - city life or country life?
Holidays at home or abroad?
I'm happy when...
If I had a million dollars...
Living as a teenager in my country
Hobbies and leisure
Cost of Cds/DVDs
My hobbies and interests
My favourite pop group
My favourite sport
An interesting weekend
An interesting film/book
My last holidays in...
Plans for my next holidays
I have a dangerous hobby
Education and work
Applying for a job
Give arguments for or against teenage working
My dream job
My dream school
My favourite subject
School uniforms
Schools in Blitar
Healthy life
What's my day like?
What I like to eat...
At the doctor's
Try to convince your friend to stop smoking/drinking/taking drugs
My attitude towards sport
My favourite sports
I like fast food
I'm a vegetarian
Me as a consumer
I like/don't like shopping
Pocket money - how much do you get - how much do you need?
Do you save money?
Life on earth
My pet
How can you save the environment?
Endangered animals
Skiing and the environment
Why I like animals
Media and Arts
Do you like reading?
Which do you prefer - reading a book or watching the film?
I like my mobile phone
I like watching TV.
I like playing on the computer.
There's too much violence on TV
Success changes people - what do you think?
The world of English
Life in Britain/the USA/Australia/Northern Ireland (or another English speaking country)
Why should people speak English?
Past, Present and Future
A day without electricity
My future wife/husband
How do you see yourself in 10 years?

No comments:

Post a Comment